Sunday, March 29, 2009

Penelope, who?

I'm just dying to tell you about my lastest project idea. Have no fear, the can-can dancer is still in the works. I hit a bit of a roadblock with her as I'm trying to figure out how to get her full skirts all worked out. But, as is the case with an ADD crafter/artisan (I think I can call myself an 'artisan') I can't do just one project at a time!

Ok, enough babbling and on to the project......

So, I was looking though Etsy's Alchemy site trying to find something to make. I saw that several people had mentioned 'Penelope scarf' and 'Penelope coat'.
The coat and scarf are ADORABLE! They're worn by the character Penelope, played by Christina Ricci in the 2008 movie 'Penelope'. While I'm not a knitter, I can sew and I'm pretty sure I can make this coat. I've looked at all of the photos available on the web, and determined that it's a pricess cut coat with some sleeve modification. The edging is easier I think that it looks. It's simply another color of wool placed in the seam - much like you would do for piping on a throw pillow, etc.
I scoured the internet looking for patterns. I found several that were close, but this morning I think I hit the jackpot!
I found this pattern on both ebay and etsy (http://bontonvintage.etsy.com) in 2 different sizes. I think the yellowish dress with the sleeves of the red dress is the way to go. I ordered both patterns and hopefully they will be here in a week or so. I'm going to keep looking for more copies of this pattern.

Now I just need to find the fabric and some large coat buttons like the ones on the original coat. If all goes well, I'm hoping to sell these coats as a custom order at my store on Etsy. Granted, it's closing in on spring......but, I'm pretty sure it will get cold again!

4 comments:

  1. hello. my name is angel... i have been trying to find a penelope coat for the longest time!!! i love the book and i love the movie and that coat is just soooo nice. i was wondering if you ever made an attempt to make one. and was wondering how it came out if you did. just curious.


    thanks.

    -Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I've been searching for that coat as well! If you have been successful in recreating the garment please let me know =) My email is originaldork@hotmail.com I didn't see the coat on your page so I'm guessing it's still a work in progress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I also want to make the Penelope coat, what is the name of the pattern you found. It looks just perfect! I am going to be on the look our for it.
    I look forward to seeing your finished project!
    Thanks!
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hii!!! I think that the Penelope coat is a wonderful coat. I been looking for that coat since i sow the movie...I hope u finish it, and i will love to buy one. My e-mail is annerys_11_@hotmail.com

    I look forward for you to tell answer mee...thanks!! [Annerys]

    ReplyDelete