Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Eye candy for the historic architecture enthusiast

Home is where the heart is......
I think I've mentioned before that I have an obsession with historic homes and buildings. It's so much of an addiction for me that I live in a 100+ year old home and together with Mr. Peanutbutter own 4 other centurion buildings. I can spend hours driving around the city, through both the 'good' and 'bad' neighborhoods, drooling over various historic properties - rehabbed or crumbling.
House in St. Louis. Photo courtesy of Realtor.comHouse in St. Louis. Photo courtesy of Realtor.com
I'm a huge advocate for restoring historic homes and neighborhoods. St. Louis has one of the largest stock of brick turn of the century homes in the nation. Sadly, many of these homes have been neglected or bastardized through shoddy renovation. Here in our own cozy historic neighborhood of Belleville, I see the same things.
House in Belleville. Photo courtesy of Realtor.comItalicHouse in Belleville. Photo courtesy of Realtor.com
All of this banter brings me to This Old House. I was wondering around the web last night, and found this article about inexpensive historic neighborhoods around the nation. Of course, I really went there to see if St. Louis or even Belleville made the cut. No dice.
House in Belleville. Photo courtesy of Realtor.com

However, the houses are amazing.Photo courtesy of This Old House

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jelly Girl, nice to see you are pretty up to date as well. Nice photographs and blog generally. I will have a look for your latest on Squidoo. Have you started to use HubPages yet?

    ReplyDelete