Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Let the composting begin...

Ah...gardening season is finally upon us and I couldn't be happier!

Although, I guess I am a little happier now that I have a composting bin (simple pleasures). Since we've been here in our new house over the last 2 years, we haven't been able to compost and it has really bummed me out. Luckily, I found this composting bin that I've been wanting for a while for a great price at Menards.

So, now the bin is all set up and I have my fingers crossed that the dog (or raccoons) won't knock it over and eat all of the scraps. That will have to be another post....

In the meantime, I'm tending to our little garden. Mr. Peanutbutter built this cool trellis for us to use for the tomatoes. They always seem to outgrow the cages that you can buy at the store.

In addition to tomatoes (both roma and big boy - yum!), we're growing cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, zucchini, banana peppers, eggplant (can you say babba ganoush?), potatoes, beets, and a variety of herbs.

Although, I think that I may have to grow some cabbage, too. I've been having this incredible craving for kimchi! Here's a recipe if you'd like to give it a try (courtesy of Jackie):

There are literally hundreds of kimchi recipes. Some include anchovies and baby shrimp, others include dikon radishes instead of cabbage. Here’s the one I used. You can also go online and type in kimchi recipes for many, many more.

1 large head cabbage
1 cup pickling salt
5 cups ice water
1 long white radish, grated
1 onion, sliced finely
2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup chili paste
1 Tbsp sugar

Remove core of cabbage and cut into small chunks. Mix salt and water and pour over cabbage in large bowl. Weight down so brine covers cabbage. Let sit on counter overnight. In morning, mix the rest of the ingredients in another bowl. Drain cabbage, rinse and drain dry. Mix chili, etc. with cabbage quite well. Pack well in wide mouth glass canning jars. Press down well to get rid of any airspaces. Put lid on tightly. Let sit in a warm, dark area at room temperature for 2-3 days (depending on the temperature…longer if it’s cool), then refrigerate until use. Then return to fridge after each use until gone.

Kimchi stinks because of the fermentation and the onion/garlic, but it’s addicting! Good kimchi making! — Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment