Thursday, July 22, 2010

Soup du Jour

Hello Dear Blogosphere.

I know I've been MIA, but I've been busy focusing on our house, the garden, and our new puppy. And as the cold days melted away, I realized that I really need to whittle off some of this Winter pudge.

So, now I'm working on healthier eating and getting fit (again). Tonight I made the most wonderful shrimp curry soup. It's light, low fat and yummy and I thought I'd share it with you.

Here's the recipe:

* 1/2 stick of butter * one large onion chopped and diced * 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth * 5-6 medium potatoes, chopped into small pieces * 2 1/2 tsp curry powder * 1 tsp kosher salt * 1 pound shrimp (I use raw shrimp, but you could use cooked) * 2 cups low fat milk (I use 2%, but you could substitute skim) * 1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Over low heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender. Add broth, curry, salt and potatoes. Cook until potatoes tender. Add shrimp and if raw, cook until shrimp firm. Slowly add milk, and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add cilantro, simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Add cracked pepper to taste. I put crumbled feta on top, but you could also try shaved coconut for a Thai flavor.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment