Monday, June 18, 2012

Smitten

Yes, blogosphere, I'm smitten.  With beekeeping, that is.  I know, you're thinking "Really, Jelly?  Another project?".

Well....in a word: yes.

Actually, I've been thinking about bees for some time now.  I'll research it and think "Nah. Too much work."  And then I'll start thinking about it again a few months later, and the cycle will start all over again.  The difference is that this time two things have happened:

1.  We're buying a house with 6.5 acres and my desire to be as sustainable as possible/try my hand at small urban farming has skyrocketed.

2.  I discovered Top Bar Beehives.  I'll admit that the traditional hives (by this I mean Langstroth) intimidated me and thus the cycle described above.  But, I know that I can make a top bar hive on my own.  Mr. Peanutbutter is also happy that he doesn't have to build anything for me.  Although, it is his nature to help-out and I'm sure that he will one day be making hives.  But that is a story for another time.


This one (above) is asthetically pleasing to me, but I'll probably start with the one below because that seems to be more my skill level at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment